Italian Botanical Heritage

Italian Botanical Heritage is a project aimed at fostering the knowledge of the Italian botanical, artistic and cultural Italian heritage and the development of green tourism in Italy, and to become a virtual meeting platform between enthusiasts of this field.


The Guided Biogenetic Nature Reserve (RNGB) "I giganti di Fallistro" (The Giants of Fallistro) was established by the Ministry of the Environment in 1987 with the aim of safeguarding a strip of centuries-old larch pine wood on the Silan plateau, in the Calabria region. The territory of the Natural Reserve of Fallistro falls in the municipality of S...

The Giusti garden is located in Verona, just a few steps from the city center and close to the Roman theater. Commissioned by the Tuscan Giusti family, who moved to Verona in the 15th century, it is a splendid example of an Italian-style garden. In the second half of the 16th century, Count Agostino Giusti had the fields behind the palace, which at...

In Abruzzo, in the heart of the Gran Sasso massif, surrounded by some of the highest and most suggestive peaks of the Apennines, lies the Campo Imperatore plateau, nicknamed the Tibet of Abruzzo. The origin of this wide flat valley is to be found in the long work of floods and glaciers, which have gently shaped the morphology of the slope, giving s...

The Alpe di Siusi is one of the largest plateaus in Europe, which extends for 184,000 square feet. With the lowest point at an altitude of 6,069 ft and the highest at 7,709 ft above sea level, it is the largest of the Italian pastures. Reachable by cable car and through a single road, is devoid of villages but there are tourist facilities and shelt...

The Rose Garden of Rome is located on the slopes of the Aventine Hill, and from there you can enjoy a raised view of the Circus Maximus and the Palatine Hill.

Minerva’s Garden is a botanical garden located in the ancient center of Salerno, close to the western walls of the medieval city along the course of the river Fusandola. During the Middle Ages it was used as a simple garden for educational purposes for students of the Medical School of Salerno, and for this reason it is considered a precursor of th...

Villa Melzi, located on the eastern shore of Lake Como, was built between 1808 and 1810, in a sober and elegant neoclassical style, designed by the architect Giocondo Albertolli at the request of the Duke of Lodi Francesco Melzi d'Eril, then vice-president of the First Italian Republic and later Grand Chancellor of the Kingdom of Italy, as well as...

Established in 1922, the Gran Paradiso National Park is the oldest Italian National Park together with the Abruzzo National Park, created a few months later. It is located between the regions of Valle d'Aosta and Piedmont. It covers an area of 71,043.79 hectares, on a predominantly mountainous terrain, in an agricultural landscape that joins the ar...

The Leonini Horti dates back to the period of reconstruction immediately after the long war that culminated with the fall of the Republic of Siena in 1558, commissioned and built by Diomede Leoni in conjunction with the restoration of the ancient walls. Monsignor Lattanzi, on November 8, 1581, wrote that "within the said Land of San Quirico, alread...

The Pantano di Policoro Wood is a protected natural area in the province of Matera, established in 1999, designated Site of Community Importance (SCI) and Special Protection Area (SPA). It occupies an area of 500 hectares, 21 of which are WWF Italy Oases, gathered under the denomination of "WWF Oasis Policoro Herakleia".

The Gardens of Villa Taranto are located on the promontory of Castagnola, along the road that connects Pallanza to Intra, on the western shore of Lake Maggiore. They were created by Neil Mc Eacharn (1184-1964), a captain of Scottish origin, a great lover of botany and Italy, which he had visited in his youth. In 1928 McEacharn returned to Italy wit...

Along the ridge of the Monte Subasio massif, there are some isolated peaks, the most important of which are, from north to south, Monte Subasio (1290 m), Monte Civitelle (1280 m) and La Sermolla (1191 m). In addition, the north-western end of the hill is San Rufino (1110 m) and the south-eastern end of the hill is Madonna della Spella (978 m); furt...