The Department of Languages and Literatures at the University of Denver will hire a Teaching Assistant Professor of Italian for appointment to begin September 1, 2016. This is a non-tenure track position, with full benefits and a 3-year contract, renewable; promotion possible. Salary is competitive. The annual teaching load is eight classes on a quarter calendar.
The person appointed will teach all levels of Italian, though mainly beginning, 1st-year classes. She or he will also serve as coordinator of a multi-section beginning Italian sequence: duties include the development of rigorous and stimulating beginning language curriculum, the hiring and training of adjunct faculty, and annual assessment of the basic language program. We will conduct semifinalist interviews at the MLA Convention in Austin early January. Deadline for applications is October 15, 2015.
-Native or near-native proficiency in Italian and English.
- ABD status or PhD in Italian or closely related field
- Area of specialization open; second-language acquisition and language pedagogy or Italian cultural studies preferred.
- Experience teaching Italian language and culture to undergraduate students in the US.
We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to diversity and inclusive excellence through their teaching and service. The University of Denver is committed to building a diverse and inclusive educational environment.
All applicants must apply online at www.dujobs.org and upload:
1) Letter of application. In their letter, candidates should describe experience in teaching, focus of research, and any/all experience in promotion, coordination, and assessment of an Italian language program
3) One-page statement of teaching philosophy
3) Evidence of excellence in undergraduate Italian language instruction, which may include student evaluations, sample beginning-level syllabus with lesson plans and teaching materials, and a link to a non-edited (full class) teaching video, preferably at the elementary level.
Two letters of recommendation and official transcript of graduate studies may be sent directly to Marlena.McGuigan@du.edu, subject "Italian Search" or made available through Interfolio. Address for hard copy material: Italian Search Committee, Ginni Ishimatsu, Interim Chair, Department of Languages & Literatures, University of Denver, Denver, CO 80208-0931, USA.
The University of Denver is an EEO/AA employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities, and veterans.
Rachel A. Walsh, PhD
Associate Professor of Italian
University of Denver
T: 303 871 3492 | E. email@example.com