Friday, January 13th, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Rutgers University will host the conference Italian as Communication and Literacy: Bridging language and culture in today's classroom on January 13th, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick. The conference will explore recent developments in Italian teaching methodologies and approaches.
· Andrea Dini (Professor of Italian and Language Program Coordinator at Monclair State University)
· Richard Kern (Professor of French and Director of the Berkeley University Language Center)
· Diane Tedick (Professor Ohio State University in Second Languages and Cultures)
Our aim is to bring together university and K-12 teachers of Italian to encourage novel exchanges about current L2 research, methodologies, and experiments that attempt to transcend traditional boundaries to develop students' translingual, intercultural, and critical competencies. The conference will be a forum for educators to establish a dialogue that will address the difficulties posed to language education in an age of international information technologies and wavering markets. It will seek to highlight the innovative strides made to address these varying concerns while demonstrating effective classroom techniques for the students of today.
Possible topics for papers include, but are not limited to:
· the development of literacy
· communicative methods
· whole language education
· task-based learning and assessment
· collaborative and cooperative techniques
· the use of innovative technologies to develop specific student competencies
· teaching Italian across curriculum
· curriculum design and development for both online and face to face education
· innovative techniques for online language education
· the use of art, theater, film, etc..
Submissions containing 250-300 word abstracts, with a brief bibliography (3 titles) and a brief author bio, are invited for 15 minute papers (in English or Italian). Please send an email with the title "Italian as Communication and Literacy Abstract Submission" to Carmela Scala firstname.lastname@example.org and to Daniele De Feo email@example.com by December 1st 2016.
Abstracts should contain:
· email address
· title and body of abstract
· bibliography (3 titles)