Ariccia, thirty kilometers from Rome, has a beautiful Baroque heart. A heart that started beating 350 years ago thanks to the creativity of the most important artist in 17th-century Rome.
That heart is of course Chigi Palace, and the artist behind it was Neapolitan sculptor, painter and architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680). Bernini designed this majestic home for the noble Chigi family, originally from Siena, and also supervised the renovation of the old Castelli Romani (Roman Castles) after they bought the fief from the Savellis.
Fonte: Italian Ways