Zeppole and Sfingi di San Giuseppe are among our most beloved Italian culinary rituals. In addition to the highly anticipated sweet treats, however, Calabrians choose to celebrate with Lagane (or laganelle), a type of homemade pasta often paired with beans. Dating back to 4th century BCE Magna Graecia, this type of pasta can still be found in modern day Basilicata, Campania, Calabria, and Puglia.
At first glance lagane resemble pappardelle, but lagane are flatter, thinner, and of varying lengths. In Calabria, they’re usually served on the Festa di San Giuseppe (St. Joseph’s Day), which is also Father’s Day in Italy, and is observed on March 19. This recipe is adapted from Italian Recipes For Dummies by Amy Riolo.
Lagane con ceci/Lagane Pasta with Chickpeas
PREP TIME: 50 MIN
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR PLUS OVERNIGHT FOR SOAKING MIN
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
- 8 ounces dried chickpeas, covered in water, soaked overnight, and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons unrefined sea salt or salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons Amy Riolo Selections or other good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 6 fresh basil leaves, shredded, or 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 3/4 cups durum wheat flour, plus additional 1 cup for work surface
- 4 jumbo eggs (10 ounces total)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pecorino Crotonese, Pecorino di Moliterno, or Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, for serving
Dr. Sante Laviola, Italian Research scientist, professional wine taster, and sommelier suggests pairing this dish with a bottle of Guarnaccino rosato or similar. Produced only in Basilicata, it is a muscular wine with notes of small red fruits supported by acidity and a delicate tannin content that allow the wine to age well.
Lagane can be enjoyed with a simple Fresh Tomato Sauce, Meat Ragù, or other legume-based sauce as well as with the chickpeas.
By Kimberly Sutton Love is what brought Tony Nicoletta to Texas from New York.The transpl...
Little Italy San Jose will be hosting a single elimination Cannoli tournament to coincide...
The Wine Consortium of Romagna, together with Consulate General of Italy in Boston, the Ho...
Hey, come over here, kid, learn something. ... You see, you start out with a little bit of...
There's something to be said for having your food prepared tableside. Guacamole tastes fre...
Fiorenzo Dogliani, owner of Beni di Batasiolo, will join Carmelo Mauro for an exclusive wi...
The popular D'Amico's Italian Market Café, a 16-year-old mainstay of Rice Village, is head...
Sunday December 14, 5.30 pmSole Mio - 8657 S Highland Dr, Sandy (Utah) 84093 The Italian...